How to Get Rid of Double Chin: Tips and Exercises
Double chin or submental fat occurs when the layer of fat under the chin sags and creates a wrinkle or second chin. It can affect both men and women and is often caused by aging, weight gain, or genetics.
If you’re looking for ways to reduce your double chin, you’re not alone. There are many non-surgical and surgical options to get rid of double chin, including injectables, liposuction, or chin lift surgery. However, there are also natural ways to reduce it, such as facial exercises, diet, and lifestyle changes.
Here are some tips and exercises to get rid of double chin naturally:
Diet Tips to Reduce Double Chin
- Drink more water: staying hydrated can help reduce water retention and bloating.
- Reduce salt intake: consuming too much sodium can lead to water retention and swelling.
- Eat more fiber: consuming a diet rich in fiber can help with weight loss and reduce body fat, including submental fat.
- Include more fruits and vegetables in your diet: they are low in calories and high in nutrients, and can help prevent weight gain.
- Reduce alcohol consumption: alcohol is high in calories and can lead to weight gain and bloating, which can affect the appearance of double chin.
Lifestyle Changes to Reduce Double Chin
- Lose weight: if your double chin is caused by excess body fat, losing weight can help reduce it. Make sure to do it gradually and safely to prevent muscle loss and sagging skin.
- Avoid sitting for a long time: sitting for extended periods can weaken neck muscles and promote fat accumulation in the chin area. Stand up and stretch or walk around every hour.
- Improve your posture: slouching can make your double chin more noticeable. Stand straight, align your shoulders with your hips, and tuck in your chin slightly to reduce the appearance of the sagging skin.
- Quit smoking: smoking can damage skin elasticity and lead to premature aging, which can contribute to the appearance of double chin.
- Sleep well: lack of sleep can affect your hormone levels, metabolism, and immune system, which can affect weight gain and fat accumulation. Aim for at least 7-8 hours of sleep per night.
Facial Exercises to Reduce Double Chin
Facial exercises can help strengthen and tone the muscles around the neck and chin area, which can reduce the appearance of double chin. They can also improve blood circulation, lymphatic drainage, and skin elasticity.
Stand or sit straight and tilt your head back until you’re looking at the ceiling. Keep your lips closed and relaxed. Push your lower jaw forward to stretch the muscles under your chin and hold for a few seconds. Relax and repeat 10-15 times.
Stand or sit straight and tilt your head to the right, then roll it towards the chest, then to the left, then to the back. Do it slowly and gently and make a full circle. Repeat 5-10 times clockwise, then switch direction.
Stand or sit straight and move your jaw up and down as if you’re chewing gum. Open your mouth as wide as you can, then close it slowly while keeping your teeth apart. Make sure to breathe deeply and exhale through your mouth. Repeat 10-15 times.
Stand or sit straight and stick your tongue out as far as you can. Try to touch your chin with your tongue. Hold for a few seconds, then relax. Repeat 5-10 times.
Stand or sit straight and pucker your lips as if you’re going to kiss someone. Hold the position for a few seconds, then relax. Repeat 5-10 times.
Non-Surgical Treatments for Double Chin
If natural methods do not work for you, there are non-surgical options to address double chin, such as:
Injectables such as Kybella or deoxycholic acid are FDA-approved fat dissolving agents that can be injected into the chin area to destroy fat cells. It usually requires multiple treatments and may cause swelling, bruising, or numbness.
CoolSculpting or cryolipolysis is a non-invasive procedure that uses cold temperature to freeze and destroy fat cells in the chin area. It may cause temporary redness, tingling, or numbness.
Radiofrequency or RF treatments use electric energy to tighten and lift the skin around the chin and neck area. It can stimulate collagen production and improve skin texture and firmness. It may cause slight discomfort or redness.
Surgical Treatments for Double Chin
For severe or persistent cases of double chin, surgical interventions may be necessary. Some of the surgical treatments for double chin are:
Chin liposuction is a minimally invasive procedure that removes excess fat from the chin and neck area using a small suction cannula. It requires local anesthesia and may cause temporary bruising, swelling, or soreness.
Chin lift or rhytidectomy is a cosmetic surgery that tightens and removes excess skin and fat from the neck and chin area. It requires general anesthesia and may cause bruising, swelling, or numbness.
Neck lift or platysmaplasty is a surgical procedure that tightens and lifts sagging skin and muscles under the chin and neck. It requires general anesthesia and may cause temporary swelling, bruising, or discomfort.
Can chewing gum reduce double chin?
Chewing gum can help exercise the muscles around the jaw and chin area, but it does not necessarily reduce submental fat. It is best to combine chewing gum with other facial exercises and a healthy diet.
Can facial massages reduce double chin?
Facial massages can improve blood circulation and lymphatic drainage, which can help reduce swelling and puffiness around the chin area. However, it may not be as effective in reducing submental fat. It is best to combine facial massages with other natural methods or non-surgical treatments.
Can a double chin be genetic?
Yes, genetics can play a role in double chin. If your family members have it, you may inherit the tendency to develop it too. However, lifestyle factors such as diet, exercise, and posture can also make it more prominent.
Can stress cause double chin?
Stress can cause weight gain, which can affect the appearance of double chin. It can also lead to muscle tension and poor posture, which can make it more noticeable. It is essential to manage stress through relaxation techniques, exercise, and healthy habits.
Getting rid of double chin requires a combination of natural methods, non-surgical treatments, and surgical options, depending on the severity and cause of the condition. It is essential to maintain a healthy diet, exercise regularly, and avoid unhealthy habits such as smoking and drinking alcohol to prevent weight gain and fat accumulation. Facial exercises and massages can also help tone and firm the muscles and skin around the chin and neck area. If all else fails, consulting a cosmetic surgeon or dermatologist can provide more advanced options such as injectables, CoolSculpting, or surgical procedures. Remember to choose a licensed and experienced practitioner and follow pre and post-treatment instructions carefully to achieve the best results.