Eliminate Headache with Pressure Points
Headaches are one of the most common health problems that are faced by people of all age groups and genders. It can range from dull to severe pain, throbbing, or pulsating sensation on one or both sides of the head, behind the ears, or in the temples. Although many over-the-counter prescription drugs claim to provide quick and effective relief, but most of them have side effects that can cause harm in the long run. Therefore, it’s always better to go for a natural remedy that can give you instant relief without any side effects. One such natural remedy is pressure points.
What are Pressure Points?
Pressure points are certain spots located on different parts of the body, which when pressed, can relieve many symptoms, including headaches. When pressure is applied, it stimulates the nerves and increases the blood circulation, thus releasing the buildup of tension, anxiety, and toxins, which ultimately leads to headache relief.
How to Find Pressure Points?
- Step 1: Identify the affected area of headache i.e., forehead, temples, neck, or shoulder
- Step 2: Locate the pressure point situated in that particular area
- Step 3: Apply firm pressure using your fingers (thumb or forefinger) or any pointed tool (pen or pencil) for 1-2 minutes
- Step 4: Release the pressure and repeat the process until your headache subsides.
9 Pressure Points You Need to Know
- LI-4 or Hegu Point: Located between the Thumb and Index Finger, it helps in relieving headaches, toothaches, and neck pain.
- GB-20 or Fengchi Point: Located at the base of the skull, it helps in treating migraine, headaches, and stress.
- GB-21 or Jianjing Point: Located on the shoulder, it helps in alleviating stress and tension that cause headaches.
- LI-3 or Taichong Point : Located on the foot, it helps in reducing headache pain and also treats insomnia and depression.
- LU-7 or Lieque Point: Located on the wrist, it helps in relieving sinus headaches and congestion.
- UB-10 or Tianzhu Point : Located on the neck, it helps in reducing tension and stress that cause headaches.
- GV-20 or Baihui Point: Located at the top of the head, it helps in enhancing blood circulation and reducing headaches caused by stress and anxiety.
- St36 or Zu San Li point: Located on the leg, it helps in reducing migraine and headaches related to digestion problems.
- PC6 or Neiguan Point: Located on the wrist, it helps in treating headaches associated with nausea and vomiting.
How to Apply Pressure on Hands and Feet?
- For the hand, apply pressure with the other thumb or index finger in a circular motion, or stimulate the point by pressing it towards a surface or an object.
- For the foot, apply pressure in a circular motion with the thumb or finger or roll the foot over a ball.
When to Apply Pressure Points?
You can apply pressure points anytime you experience headaches but avoid over-exertion as it might lead to tenderness or soreness. It’s better to apply them either in the morning before starting your day or during a break in the office or home.
Other Effective Headache Remedies
Essential oils have been used for centuries for their medicinal properties. They provide many benefits like reducing inflammation, stimulating the immune system, and reducing stress and anxiety, which ultimately helps in reducing headaches. Lavender oil, peppermint oil, eucalyptus oil are a few examples that can be applied topically to the skin, or inhaled through a diffuser, or added to the bath for relaxation.
Ice or Heat Packs
Applying an ice pack wrapped in a cloth or a heating pad on the affected area can also provide relief from headaches. Ice packs help in reducing inflammation and numb the pain, while heat packs help in relaxing muscles and increasing blood flow.
Proper Nutrition and Hydration
Headaches can also be triggered due to dehydration or low blood sugar levels. Therefore, it’s necessary to stay properly hydrated and maintain a healthy diet rich in vitamins and minerals. Avoid skipping meals and include foods like nuts, fish, leafy greens, and fruits that can prevent headaches.
Regular Exercise and Good Sleep
Exercise and sleep are essential for maintaining proper physical and mental health. Regular exercise not only helps in reducing stress and tension but also increases the blood circulation, which ultimately reduces headaches. Similarly, good quality sleep for 7-8 hours is necessary for the body to recover and rejuvenate, which ultimately reduces headaches.
FAQs about Pressure Points for Headache Relief
Q1. Are Pressure Points Safe for Everyone?
A. Although pressure points are safe and effective, it’s always better to consult a doctor or a professional acupuncturist before applying pressure points on yourself. People with severe medical conditions and pregnant women should avoid applying pressure points.
Q2. How Long Should I Apply Pressure Points?
A. The duration of applying the pressure points depends on the intensity of the headache and the effectiveness of the pressure point. Generally, applying pressure points for 1-2 minutes is enough to give relief from headaches.
Q3. Can Pressure Points be Used for Treating Other Health Problems?
A. Yes, pressure points are widely used for treating many health problems, including back pain, arthritis, asthma, and sleep disorders. Although it’s always better to consult a professional before using pressure points for any health problems.
Q4. Can Pressure Points be Applied on Children?
A. Pressure points can be applied on children, but it’s advisable to consult a pediatrician or an acupuncture professional before applying pressure points.
Q5. What are the Side Effects of Applying Pressure Points?
A. Although there are no significant side effects of applying pressure points, some people might experience tenderness or soreness at the applied area. Also, people with low blood pressure should avoid applying pressure points as it can lead to dizziness or fainting.
Pressure points are a natural and effective way to treat headaches without any side effects. By following the above tips, you can apply pressure points correctly and give relief to your headaches. However, it’s always better to consult a professional before applying pressure points, especially if you suffer from a severe medical condition or pregnant.